Farm Credit Services: Reimagining An 18 Billion Dollar Institution
Farm Credit Case Study
After completing an extensive communications brand audit and key stakeholder interviews, it was apparent that Farm Credit had core equities that could be refreshed across their offices to project a larger, more consistent presence.
We suggested a name change to match customer perceptions and created a new logo and identity system to reinvigorate their brand, convey their strength as leaders in rural lending, and tell the Farm Credit story. In addition, we developed a comprehensive launch with the theme, “Strength in Numbers,” to introduce the refreshed brand, celebrate Farm Credit’s rich history and create a cohesive brand experience. The results have been stellar with both customers and employees embracing the new Farm Credit with enthusiasm.
Farm Credit Services of Mid-America was an $18 billion financial cooperative with an identity crisis. Farm Credit’s business had grown significantly, but its brand was fragmented and inconsistently applied between its local offices. While Farm Credit was well known and trusted as a local lender, it lacked the strong, unified brand presence necessary to compete with national banks.
Erbert & Gerbert’s: Rebranding Case Study
Erbert & Gerbert Rebranding
In order to reinvigorate Erbert & Gerbert’s, we went back their very humble, albeit quirky, beginning. At the core of the brand are imaginative bedtime stories a father told his 7-year-old and 9-year-old children, Erbert and Gerbert Herbert. Just as the children make fun discoveries throughout their adventures, we wanted people to have as much fun discovering the E&G brand. Our big idea was embodied in our campaign’s theme line: Subs Worth Discovering. We made sure every touchpoint was worth discovering — from a redesign of the store experience to a simple, easy-to-use, print-on-demand system, which allowed franchisees to customize campaigns at the local level and the company to track use and results. Finally, we created an innovative, integrated advertising campaign that generated positive sales and earned global media coverage for the chain. Not only did the work earned a shelf full of awards, including a Gold EFFIE, but it was also featured on CNN, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, the CBS Early Show and VH1. But our proudest moment was being named Vendor of the Year by the franchisee network.
Erbert & Gerbert’s, a quirky sub chain in the Midwest, is outspent by competitors such as Jimmy John’s, Potbelly and marketing behemoth Subway. Not only was it being outspent 130 to 1 by its competitors, it also had an outdated image that hadn’t been refreshed in 20 years. To build the business in a highly competitive environment, it would have to focus on what made its store experience unique and connect with those who valued it.
C+M Is Most Awarded Agency At National NAMA Awards
Colle+McVoy and Exponent, its PR partner, won nine first-place awards and three merit awards, making them the most awarded agency at the 2013 National Best of NAMA awards, sponsored by the National Agri-Marketing Association (NAMA). Award-winning work included campaigns for WinField, Purina Animal Nutrition, CHS Inc., DuPont Crop Protection and Farm Credit Mid-America.
NAMA serves the food and fiber industry, focusing on members’ professional development by providing access to solutions and opportunities in agribusiness. Each year, Best of NAMA honors excellence in agricultural communications. Companies and agencies must first qualify through regional competitions to advance to the national level.
Colle+McVoy and Exponent PR’s first-place clients and categories include:
- Single-page ads, series – WinField Answer Plot® Print Ads
- Radio, series – WinField Answer Plot® Radio
- TV, single or series – “We’re With You” for CHS
- Corporate identity – Farm Credit Mid-America Brand Identity Refresh
- Public relations program, internal – Farm Credit Mid-America: A Fresh Coat of Paint
- News or feature article – “South Korea Packs a Wallop” for CHS
- Direct mail, directed to farmers, growers and ranchers - flat – WinField MAX-IN® X-RAY Direct Mailer
- Company publications, internal – WinField Expertise® E-Newsletter
- Companion animal; or turf and ornamental campaign – Purina Animal Nutrition Big Thoughts from Small Animals Videos
Colle+McVoy and Exponent PR’s merit clients and categories include:
- Billboards or other outdoor ads – WinField Answer Plot® Field Giants
- Brochures, catalogues, etc, directed to dealers, distributors, sales reps or others serving agribusiness – WinField Brand Brochure
- Producer or company funded public relations program to consumers – CHS Tanks of Thanks