Explore Minnesota Tourism: Client Profile
Explore Minnesota Tourism promotes and facilitates travel to and within the state of Minnesota. Tourism in the state is an $11 billion industry, supporting more than 238,000 jobs.
Explore Minnesota Tourism: Minnesota in Six Words
Just how far do you need to go to showcase how awesome the Land of Sky Blue Waters is? How about 1,500 miles, give or take a few.
Showing off the North Star State—the Gopher State, the Land of 10,000 Lakes, Minnesnowta, especially Minnesnowta, these days—was just what Explore Minnesota asked us to do.
But here’s the thing: We didn’t want to churn out a standard-issue tourism spot filled with a montage of prairie, lakes and more prairie and more lakes. That’s not how things are done here at C+M. Instead, we challenged ourselves to find six words that would seamlessly tie together compelling Minnesota-centric activities. The words that bubbled to the top were: spin, try, hold, rock, share and catch. Each word was the focus of its own 15-second spot.
Over the course of last summer (and deep into fall) we set out to bring this campaign to life. It was a fantastic experience. During 11 full days of shooting (not in a row), we covered more than 1,500 miles and captured exactly 52 different shot set-ups.
It was an amazing experience set against the backdrop of an amazing state.
Minnesota. Explore it.
Explore Minnesota Tourism: More To Explore
Video: More to Explore TV Video
We set our sights on the travelers who are more optimistic (cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless) and ready to experience life. They are curious to discover what makes a destination exceptional. Thus, the More to Explore campaign was born. Just as Minnesota is a state worth exploring, we set out to create a commercial worth exploring. Throughout the spot, visual surprises are sprinkled in to delight and, most of all, support the idea that there really is More To Explore in Minnesota. The biggest surprise of all was saved for the end of the spot when Joe Mauer, Minnesota’s favorite son (and MVP), made his singing debut. The result is a seamless, exuberant tribute to all that Minnesota has to offer. The television spot has become Explore Minnesota’s most buzzworthy initiative ever.
When it comes to promoting state tourism, Minnesota is routinely outspent by its neighbors at a ratio of up to 3 to 1. With the travel economy still in recovery and the state in a major budget-cutting mode, it was imperative for us to do more with less, while breaking through the mass of tourism advertising.
C+M Wins Explore Minnesota Tourism Account
MINNEAPOLIS, June 10, 2010 - Colle+McVoy has been selected as the advertising agency for Explore Minnesota Tourism, the state agency responsible for promoting travel in Minnesota. The agency was chosen following a competitive review process.
"We were impressed by Colle+McVoy’s approach, which offered the best combination of strategy, creativity, effectiveness and return on investment," said John Edman, director, Explore Minnesota Tourism. "The team demonstrated an understanding of the business and presented a great campaign that will be flexible and work across several mediums."
"We have always been proud of our Minnesota roots and we look forward to using our expertise and groundbreaking programs to creatively promote Minnesota as a travel destination and achieve measurable results," said Christine Fruechte, president and CEO, Colle+McVoy.
Colle+McVoy will assist Explore Minnesota Tourism with strategic planning, advertising, media planning, online/electronic marketing, social marketing, promotional materials, public relations and additional marketing needs. The marketing budgets have not been finalized.
C+M Hires And Promotes Within Creative Department
MINNEAPOLIS, Nov. 30, 2010 - Colle+McVoy announced today the addition of three employees and promotions for six others in its creative department. Recently, Colle+McVoy announced the expansion of the interactive and account service departments to meet growth in new business and current accounts. New clients include Dorel Recreational/Leisure, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, Old Navy, Explore Minnesota Tourism, Medtronic Foundation and Regis Corp. The new hires include:
- Harlo Petoskey has been hired as senior information and user experience architect. Petoskey has extensive brand experience that includes the University of Minnesota, Thomson Reuters, General Mills, HBO, Dell, Disney and Buick.
- Aaron Purmort has been hired as senior interactive designer. Purmort has considerable brand experience, including Microsoft, Target, Best Buy, General Mills and American Standard.
- Josh Van Patter has been hired as editor. Van Patter previously worked with brands that include Motorola, Journeys, Oppenheimer Funds and the University of Minnesota.
The six promotions include:
- Kristen Evanoff, promoted to director of creative output.
- John Neerland, promoted to associate creative director.
- Chris Peters, promoted to senior art producer and photographer.
- Lindsey Aho, promoted to senior designer.
- Micah Dahl, promoted to editor.
- Nina Orezzoli, promoted to senior art director.
"The creative group at Colle+McVoy comprises diverse talent with a big appetite for client success," said Mike Caguin, executive creative director, Colle+McVoy. "We could not be more excited to kick off a new year with our expanded and energized team."
Photos available upon request.
New Account Service Hires Latest In Rapid Expansion At C+M
MINNEAPOLIS, Nov. 3, 2010 - Colle+McVoy announced today the addition of nine new employees to its account service team to meet the rapid growth of current accounts and new business. This latest round of hires follows the expansion of the interactive team and in other areas. Recent new clients include Dorel Recreational/Leisure, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, Old Navy, Explore Minnesota Tourism, Medtronic Foundation and Regis Corp. The new hires include:
- Rob Hagemann has been hired as account director. Hagemann has a lengthy history of accomplishments with several General Mills brands and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina.
- Nat Jungerberg has been hired as account supervisor. Jungerberg has considerable brand experience that includes work for Best Buy, Great Clips, Macy’s, Microsoft, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.
- Josh Thompson has been hired as account supervisor. Thompson has extensive business-to-business brand experience with previous accounts that include Pfizer Animal Health and Cargill Animal Nutrition.
- Sarah Biggerstaff has been hired as senior account executive. She has previous experience with several General Mills brands.
- Sarah Markel has been hired as account executive. Markel previously worked on consumer brands at Target Corp.
- Casie Cook has been hired as assistant account executive. She is a graduate of the University of Minnesota.
- Amanda Goplen has been hired as assistant account executive. She has experience in agriculture business.
- Ryan Sadeghi has been hired as assistant account executive. He is a graduate of the University of Southern California and recently worked on the SuperValu brand.
- Matt Stengel has been hired as assistant account executive. Previously, he worked on accounts such as the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry, University of Notre Dame, Thomson Reuters, Ecolab, Minnesota Vikings and Mayo Clinic.
"Our success is the product of the phenomenal talent of our employees," said Stacy Janicki, director of account management, Colle+McVoy. "These new team members share our vision and passion for client success."
Photos available upon request.
C+M Named AOR For Dorel Recreational/Leisure Segment
MINNEAPOLIS, Oct. 26, 2010 - Today Colle+McVoy was named global advertising agency of record for Dorel Industries Inc.’s (TSX: DII.B, DII.A) Recreational/Leisure segment, a worldwide leader and innovator in high-end and enthusiast bicycles and sports apparel, including the Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, IronHorse and SUGOi brands. The agency will lead global strategic and creative development of integrated programs across all traditional and nontraditional mediums targeted to consumers, independent bike dealers, mass merchants and sporting goods retailers.
"As Dorel Recreational/Leisure grows, we need a best-in-class partner to help us continue to evolve and maintain the relevance of our iconic consumer brands," said Andrew Coccari, CMO Global Marketing, Dorel Recreational/Leisure segment. "Colle+McVoy’s passion for bicycling is evident in their work with groups like Bikes Belong. Their consumer-centric focus toward building beloved lifestyle brands is tried and true, and their appreciation for the dynamics and pace of this industry is unparalleled."
"Enthusiast lifestyles are a core focus and expertise of ours. It’s an honor to partner with Dorel Recreational/Leisure to advance the growth of its iconic brand portfolio," said Christine Fruechte, president and CEO, Colle+McVoy.
This substantial AOR assignment is the latest win by Colle+McVoy, which was also awarded new business recently from Old Navy, Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort, Medtronic Foundation, Explore Minnesota Tourism, Regis Corporation, General Mills, Land O’Lakes and Nestlé Purina.